If it's the first time you’re fitting a CPAP mask, do so during the day.
You’ll need to re-adjust the straps of mask to make it fit properly. It's a good idea to wear the mask for an hour or two during the day so that you grow accustomed to it.
Your mask should be fitted so that it is comfortable to wear in your usual sleeping position, with minimal air leakage.
When fitting the mask initially:
- Ensure that the straps are loose.
- Hold the mask up to your nose and connect the headgear to the proper locations. It helps to do this in front of a mirror.
- Make sure the mask is placed on your nose using any adjustment straps to adjust its location.
- Make sure the mask is snug but not overly tight. A common problem is over tightening so be sure the mask is just secure enough to sit on its own. The air from the CPAP will help to create a seal by inflating the mask cushion.
- Last, turn on the CPAP machine to make sure there are no air leaks.
Our YouTube page also includes fitting tutorials that you can watch here.