If it's the first time you’re fitting a CPAP mask, do so during the day.
You’ll need to re-adjust the straps of mask to make it fit properly. It's a good idea to wear the mask for an hour or two during the day so that you grow accustomed to it.
When fitting the mask initially:
- Ensure that the straps are loose.
- Hold the mask up to your nose and connect the headgear to the proper locations. It helps to do this in front of a mirror.
- Make sure the mask is placed on your nose using any adjustment straps to adjust its location.
- Make sure the mask is snug but not overly tight. A common problem is over tightening so be sure the mask is just secure enough to sit on its own. The air from the CPAP will help to create a seal by inflating the mask cushion.
- Last, turn on the CPAP machine to make sure there are no air leaks.